Improving your Lead Technique in Modern Jive
How do you develop a good lead?
Here are some tips:
- Imagine your follower/partner has no idea what moves you are about to do next
- Imagine the follower won’t move until you provide the appropriate lead and direction.
- Pretend the follower has her eyes closed and yet you still have to lead in such a way that it’s easy to follow your lead.
- Count the beats in the music, or listen to the teacher’s voice don’t simply “do the moves.”
- Dance with the teacher/s and the more experienced dancers – especially if you’re new
Any one (or all) of these will help you determine the right amount of tension you need in your lead. Some follows prefer a stronger lead, some only need a very light lead, each person is different and it’s up to you, leads, to learn the right balance.
The great news is that most beginner leads with practice develop their confidence and their dancing takes off. So, don’t worry we’re there to help you develop the confidence you need!
Want to learn to dance in a matter of months instead of years? Try one of our classes on a Thursday night.